Grab Your Calender and Get a Pen! Here’s some great ideas to with as a family to shake the beginning of the Winter’s Blues.
1. Grand Meander. On Saturday, December 6th, Saint Paul is holding the “Grand Meander.” It’s a great time and really gets me in the holiday spirit! There are so many things to do…all one really needs to come is a warm heart and lots of layers! There are so many cool stores to check out, get your holiday shopping done and eat lunch or dinner at.
2. The Hollidazzle Parade. Beginning Friday, November 28th until December 21st every Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Each parade begins at 6:30pm on Nicollet Mall between 12th and 4th Streets. Bundle up, bring a few big blankets, the stroller for the kids, come early. Many people have made a tradition out of this and claim their favorite spot year after year. We’re actually making a weekend of it. Some hotels have “Hollidazzle Packages” available and the parade is only steps away from the comfort of your room. Here are a few: Marriott, Hyatt.
3. Macy’s Display. Ok, Ok…it’s no “Chicago” State Street Display (it’s actually inside the store on the 8th floor). Despite rude people last year, we’ll attempt it again this year. Why did I include it, if it wasn’t that fun last year? Well, because the previous year it was a lot of fun…everything deserves a second chance! Somewhere in the wee-bit of the costumes and decorations, I’m reminded of a familiar place. Frango’s, picking out a dancer ornament every year and the magic of the season… It all depends on when you go though. Try to avoid high traffic weekends and spare yourself the Tylenol (the line started on the 5th floor last year when we were there!). The elevators are a nightmare to catch, especially with a stroller…come mentally prepared! Avoid exiting through “Santa’s Workshop” after the display. This will avoid setting you up for an unexpected purchases that your child “has” to have.
4. Como Conservatory Holiday Garden Show. I’m never disappointed when we visit Como. Take the kids on an indoor walk and leave invigorated- filled with color and ready to face the cold, head on! December 6th through January 19th.
5. Otsego Santa Day. OK, I’m a bit bias here, but it IS a FREE event that the park and recreation commission sponsors, coordinates and runs! Bring your letter to Santa, visit with him, have some cookies, refreshments and enjoy a sleigh ride in the park- all free! Saturday, December 13th at 10AM until 1PM. Otsego City Hall.
6. Dance in the New Year, Family Style at the Children’s Museum! Another hang out that doesn’t disappoint! Fun for kids and parents alike. Here’s a way to jump start some fun for the new year ahead: December 31st from 6PM until 8:30PM. This is a special event.
7. The Saint Paul Winter Carnival. See, there is that name again…Saint Paul! You HAVE to love this city. Be sure to check out the parade on Saturday, January 24th.